Monday 22 September 2008

Jamie T - Operation

Two singers I have mixed feelings about...:

(Alphabetical listing time!)

a. Miley Cyrus; and
b. Charlotte Church.

A. Miley Cyrus
Speaking from a singer and music connoisseur's point of view, there isn't anything great about her voice. I mean, yes, she can sing better than most fifteen-year-olds (I'll admit that she can project better than I can, but I don't have a singing coach), but there's nothing special about her voice. Some singers I'll listen to them once, and their voice will stay in my head forever. (Duffy, at the moment, is playing over and over in my head although I've only heard her song Mercy today once.) I've heard Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana songs more than once before, but I don't really remember what she sounds like. I suppose parents like her because she's squeaky clean, suggestive iPhone and Vanity Fair photos notwithstanding. But there isn't any substance in her songs, even in her non-Disney affiliated album. Yes, they sound catchy and good, but they don't hit you right there emotionally. Sorry, Miley - stick to acting. I'll admit you're a pretty good comedienne.

B. Charlotte Church
I preferred her when she was operatic, but I think, due to singing vocally challeging songs since young, her voice began to decline towards the end of her classical career. I've heard some of her earlier work, and her voice did used to be quite pure and clear. Her more recent operatic work reveal a huskier voice and a rather uncontrolled vibrato. Charlotte Church is (in)famous for her extremely wobbly lips and jiggling jaw, which betray bad posture and support, or so I've heard. But it is true that if you watch videos of Charlotte Church singing, say, O Mio Babbino Caro, and then watched the "queens of opera" like Kiri Te Kanawa, Montserrat Caballe (my favourite version), and Maria Callas sing, you'll see how violent she wobbles her lips and jaw. I felt sorry for her when I heard her sing O Mio, because she was definitely forcing herself to hit the high note. She looked like she was going to die - the desperation was so great in her eyes. Perhaps it is better that she has crossed over to pop. If you're reading this, Charlotte - I don't dislike you. Please get a better vocal coach.

No comments: